Taika Waititi to Remake ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’
Taika Waititi is on a hot streak right now and Netflix is banking on the fact that will continue. Waititi has signed a deal with the streaming service to do an animated version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Waititi will write, direct, and executive produce two original animated series based on the Roald Dahl classic.
The first series will be Waititi's take on the classic book with the original characters. The second series will be an original story wrapped around the Oompa-Loompas.
Back in 2018, Netflix made a deal with the Dahl estate and this is the first step in Netflix bringing the content to the streaming service. Netflix is looking for other high-profile names to adapt the stories of Matilda, The BFG, and The Twits.
Here is a quick rundown of what Waititi has done:
- What We Do in the Shadows (writer, director, producer)
- Thor: Ragnarok (director)
- Jojo Rabbit (writer, director, producer)
- He won an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay
- Thor: Love and Thunder (writer director)
- This is set to be released in 2021