Crypto Parasite Infecting Swimmers, Causing the Type of Diarrhea That Makes You Beg for Mercy
Summer's here, the temperature's going straight up and area pools could be filling up with more than just swimmers.
A water borne, diarrhea-causing parasite has been infecting swimmers across the country. According to an MSN.com article, 77 percent of the reported outbreaks occurred in water that had been treated with chlorine, bromine or other chemicals. The other 23% involved untreated water like lakes, rivers, etc.
We haven't heard about any pools in the Abilene area being affected but, it's still a good idea to take precautions as the summer heat drives everyone toward pools, lakes, the Rio Grande and water parks. The CDC recommends that people avoid swimming if they have diarrhea and stay out of the pool for two weeks after symptoms stop if they were diagnosed with Crypto.
Showering before swimming and taking frequent bathroom breaks also helps stop the spread of the parasite.