Abilene Makes The Weather Channel’s Top 10 List of Windiest Cities in America
This may not be too much of a shock to you, but Abilene has made The Weather Channel’s top 10 list of the windiest cities in America.
If you’ve lived in Abilene for even a short period of time, you know it gets very windy here. So, it shouldn’t be too much of a shocker. It basically validates the fact that it gets so windy here, that chickens lay the same egg three times.
The list was based off of average annual wind speed data from NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center. These are cities with a population of at least 100,000, as of the latest U.S. census estimate. In Abilene, our average wind speed is 11.9 mph while Amarillo, rated the windiest, had an average wind speed of 13.6 mph.
Three other Texas cities also joined the top 10 list which you can see below. I think it’s time for Chicago to lose the “windy city” moniker because I think we got this here in Texas.
Top 10 Windiest Cities in America According to The Weather Channel
- Amarillo, Texas (Average wind speed of 13.6 mph)
- Rochester, Minnesota (Average wind speed of 12.6 mph)
- Lubbock, Texas (Average wind speed of 12.4 mph)
- Boston, Massachusetts (Average wind speed of 12.3 mph)
- Wichita, Kansas (Average wind speed of 12.2 mph)
- Fargo, North Dakota (Average wind speed of 12.2 mph)
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (Average wind speed of 12.2 mph)
- Corpus Christi, Texas (Average wind speed of 12 mph)
- Abilene, Texas (Average wind speed of 11.9 mph)
- Buffalo, New York (Average wind speed of 11.8 mph)